Thursday, January 25, 2007

Read all about it

A year or so ago I had a small picture published in the Smithsonian's Air and Space Magazine, allowing anyone in the States to walk up to any newstand in any city and find my name in print (very small and sideways along the photo but, hey, it was still in print).

I've just discovered my name has snuck into another major publication, Yachting Monthly, albeit only online. While Robin writes a monthly column for the print version of a competing sailing magazine, Yachting World, he's writing an online blog for Yachting Monthly. I got a mention in his two most recent submission (viewable online here (January 10) and here (January 16). Will it ever make to print? Probably not. Maybe I'll get in Yachting World some day.

I've just returned from a walk to a local magazine store for the latest issues of these two magazines. Yachting Monthly has all of page 1 dedicated to Robin and a word about the blog but nothing else inside. Robin's column in the February issue of Yachting World is about his icy swim early in December to remove a fishing net from his keel. I'd actually had expected a greater lag time in currency than just one month.

I was happy to discover that the February Yachting World issue also has a DVD attached that, in it's November and December chapters, gives nice overviews of the Velux 5 Oceans race with some great racing footage. If you knew where to look, you'd even see me now and then on dockside shots but the glimpses are slight and quickly pass.

I'm not sure if either of these publications are only available in Europe (we did find a Spanish version of Yachting World in Bilbao last October and were amused to see Robin's column in Spanish) or if they're available worldwide.