Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Alli

Our golden retriever Alli passed away a year ago this week. Raine e-mailed me from Chicago earlier today and told me how much she was missing Alli. I am, too.

I made this video for us both this evening. The first images are of Alli as a puppy on Raine's eighth birthday, the day I gave her Alli. The other images are from the rest of her 15 years with us. My cousin Jill's infant daughter Parker has a significant presence in a series of pictures revealing Alli's usual patience and tolerance while her mouth is explored by a toddler (the cover image you see below).

Towards the end, Raine visits Alli (and me) over a Thanksgiving break during college while I was down in Florida hang gliding.

The last picture of them together is just moments after Raine has finished her last rowing race which, since she'd graduated the week before, was sadly the final act and moment of her very happy college career.

In the end of both Alli's life and this video, she's at home in Raine's Chicago apartment, something Raine had been waiting for and looking forward to for so long.