Saturday, April 21, 2007

Catching Up/Post-Norfolk

Ahhhh, to have unfettered Internet access again. What a relief. Someday I think we will take almost universal wireless Internet connections for granted in the way we now take almost universal cellphone access for granted. I'm looking forward to that day, for I'm already feeling oddly frustrated to have any limitations to Internet access in much the same way that I can only write at a keyboard. Paper and pen are a last and only temporary resort if I must record something.

Being limited in Internet access almost feels like holding one's breath. So spoiled we have become (or at least I have).

Such sentiments always make me wonder about the future and what new technology we will take for granted that today we have not even conceived of. For exampple, imagine 25 years ago; 1982. Cell phones and the Internet did not exist (nor did my daughter Raine, for that matter). Today we can't imagine life without them.

Anyway, I'm in the States for a few more days before heading for the finish of the Velux 5 Oceans race in Bilbao.

Robin arrived on March 30th. The first person to climb aboard his boat (even before the custom officials had the chance) was Unai, the Spanish competitor. The friendship between these two, one the old salt and the other the new up and coming sailor, has always been a delight to witness. I don't think I have a picture of the two of them together where they both don't have a huge grin on their faces. All of the sailors feel immense respect towards each other but Robin and Unai have clearly a different and deeper friendship.

In the race, first and second place are rather clear but Robin and Unai are battling it out for third and forth place. At the moment, it looks like Unai will capture it but not without a good fight from Robin. If Unai takes third, Robin is going to be sure he earns it. Robin keeps talking about the two Unai's; his Basque friend whom he loves and his competitor whom he is determined to beat.

For the pre-race preparations in Bilbao, our efforts were packed with pressure, stress, and a sense of doubt that we could even get Robin off on time. In Fremantle, getting him ready for the next departure was hard work but doable. In Norfolk, it was surprisingly low key. True, it was only a 3000 mile sprint we were preparing him for instead of a 15,000 mile Odyssey. Even so, I was surprised at everyone's low-keyed state of mind. There was even time for a soccer game between all remaining four competitors and their shore crews. The level of play was aggressive but wholly in fun. Still, I was quite relieved that no one had broken or sprained anything days before finishing the race.

So for me, it's back to England for 36 hours, then off to Bilbao for a week to catch the finish, then back to England for the final push towards starting my own round the world race.