Wednesday, May 16, 2007

London delivery


The 68's get moved around quite a bit for various publicity and corporate functions. This offers many of us the chance to gain a bit more experience in working and living on the boats.

"Singapore" was taken to the historic and beautiful St. Katherine's Dock in the middle of London for it's official naming ceremony by the ambassador from Singapore. I missed the delivery down, as I was occupied with Robin's homecoming on the 12th. The next day I took the train up to London to join up with the small crew bringing it home.

After dropping off my gear in the boat, I used my few remaining hours of daylight to revisit some of my favorite places in London, including taking a short walk down a slim pedestrian alley between Covent Garden and Leicester Square.


Afterwards, I joined the crew for dinner at a pub on St. Katherine's Dock.


I'd stumbled upon St. Katherine's Dock once before two years ago, when I first started spending so much time in London. I'd forgotten how beautiful it was. Moreover, what a luxury it was to be living on a boat next to a Starbucks. Boat coffee is always only instant coffee. The morning before we left, I crept out of the boat at 6:30 a.m. and bought a latté. I took it to the upper level seating to savor it. There I found two of my sailing mates already there.


Later that morning, as the tides in the River Thames rose to the appropriate level, we moved through the lock onto the river.



Once on the water, it was initially a fascinating voyage through the center of such historic sites...

...but eventually the river became just a river and the sail just just a sail. Still, passing such places as the cliffs of Dover and other notable places along the English Channel, even if only by night, gives one an enviable sense of experiencing history.