Saturday, November 03, 2007

What I miss the most

Position 29d 52m S, 14d 40m W.

It only occurred to me earlier today that we've long ago left the tropics. It makes sense, though, since the decision of what to wear for the night watches has gone from whether or not to wear a jacket to whether to wear 3 or 4 layers...and perhaps even a wool hat.

I've found myself pondering just what it is that I miss the most due to this life at sea for a year. Other than good coffee, it's the freedom to engage in endurance excerise, such as biking for five or six hours at a stretch.

Back in Virginia some of my happiest times were all day bike rides with Bill and Dana or perhaps even the Glam Squad (Maria, Nancy, and Dori; gorgeous all). These five friends and others were part of a gathering of triathete friends with whom I'd swim 3000 yds at the crack of dawn three times a week and do either 15-20 mile runs or 70-90 mile bikes on the weekends, sometimes both. The feeling those friends and those times would give my soul, both from the fitness derived and the fellowship found either on the road or at Starbucks afterwards, was the true wealth of my time in Virginia.

I have many new friends from the time spent preparing for and doing this voyage, yes, and some who no doubt will be eternal, but that group of triathlete friends was 15 or so years in the making. Eric, Barb, Dr. Chris, Gail, young Matt, Cindy, Brad, Laura...I miss them all.