Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Force of Nature

This voyage is full of firsts. Last night a group of six Singaporians took quite an interest in me, eventually inviting me to join their birthday celebration at the marina's bar. They asked me to join the celebration's extention into the city and even got me to sing at a karaoke bar with them (a first).

Here's another first. I'm in a book. Sir Robin Knox-Johnston wrote a book about his solo round the world race last year. When I saw Robin at the Durban, South Africa stopover, I knew it had just been published so I asked him if I was in it. He nodded with a knowing smile.

"Did you spell my name right or did you just refer to me as that crazy American?"

"I think you'll be very pleased," he said.

Just a moment ago he passed through the marina office, where I've been online. He had three copies of his book in his hand and, seeing me, ducked into a spare room. A moment later he emerged and handed me a copy. Inside, he'd just written,

You were an important part of this whole adventure. Thanks for helping to make it all happen.

Robin Knox-Johnston

I'll read it on the voyage to China. Glancing through it now, I see I'm in the acknowledgements (page 287, if you're looking) where he did, after all, spell my name right. I'm even in one photo.