Friday, April 04, 2008

100 Feet Deep

Yesterday, Thursday, we had our last free day in this week of pre-race preparation. I took the opportunity to take a few dives in the morning, one of them down to 100 ft to see a WWII aircraft that didn't make it back to Pearl Harbor, landing in the water a mile offshore. The pilot, we are told, swam in safely.


One of the Dive Masters had a digital camera and gave me these pictures. I learned of this dive years ago when Regina did it while in Hawaii with her boyfriend of the time. They told me of the huge moray eel that lives in the cockpit but I didn't think about it until after I'd been in and out. That's when someone motioned to me to look where I'd just been. There it was with a head as big as a football.








We restart the race tomorrow, Saturday, at 11:00. Santa Cruz is only 2080 miles away but the winds will be on our nose almost the entire way. It will take us 14-15 days to get there.