Friday, April 25, 2008

Santa Cruz

After we crossed the finish line and began dropping sails and setting to enter the harbour, amidst all our celebrations on the boat I failed to notice that my mom and uncle were on the small launch that had come out to greet us and lead us into the harbour. They’d been up since 2:00 a.m. (our original estimated time of arrival) and had been out on that small, rolling, and not particularly comfortable boat for an hour. I knew they’d planned on being there but I didn’t expect to see them for some time. I didn't discover their presence until they were standing below our boat before I even had the chance to climb down.



To be able to greet a boat arriving after a 4000+ mile journey at the very moment it docks takes a lot of patience, digging of the right information from the right people (and website), and a fair amount of dedicated perseverance. I didn’t think my mom would have the energy or know-how to pull it off. I happily stand corrected. This most likely will be the one stop that anyone other than my daughter attends and, of all the stops to pick, my mom and uncle picked the best. Seeing us arrive as the first boat in, with champagne flying and cheers all around was quite the adventure for them both.

Carrie, who was forced to drop out of the race in Australia for healths reasons, also came to Santa Cruz for a few days.



Due to the rushed schedule now to make up all the time we lost (gained, to my perspective) in Hawaii over maintenance issues, every stop between Hawaii and New York has been shortened. All Carrie and I had time to do was spend a day driving down to Monterey and Carmel.



Uniquely Singapore departed for Panama the next day.

P.S. and was first across the line (below)