Thursday, May 08, 2008

Race to Panama Shortened

Position 13 24.86 N, 095 57.83 W. Due to the complete lack of wind in these latitudes off the coast of Mexico (something we all had anticipated from the start), the race was terminated at a pre-determined gate drawn across the sea and we all are now motoring to the Panama Canal. It will take us six days.

This morning I entered our remaining route into my GPS and was quite surprised to learn we've only just under 6,000 miles left in our voyage (with 29,000 miles completed). The longest sail will be from Syndey, Nova Scotia to Cork, Ireland: 1750 miles. From Jamaica to New York will be only 1200 miles. Everything else between here and Liverpool will be even shorter sails.

It's as if we're done with the marathons and have nothing but two 10Ks, one 5K, and a few 400m sprints to do. Personally, I'd rather run a marathon than a 10K. In a 10K, you have no excuse but to push hard right from the start, and so it will be in many of our races left.

In terms of time, it's only 58 days until our July 5th arrival in Liverpool. On one hand, I've certainly felt the weight and effect of all that time passed on the sea, but on the other, I am surprised there's so little left.

What do I miss the most? Running, biking, and even swimming for hours on end simply because I CAN.

What have I enjoyed the most? That's obvious: the people I love, whether in this race or on the lands we've visited.