Thursday, May 29, 2008

Groveland

Position 30 27.41N 74 42.27W When people I've met over the last year ask me where I'm from, I tell them I'm currently homeless and live on a boat. The longer answer is that I've lived in England for the two years preceding this race. Before that my home was in northern Virginia, though I was rarely there. If I had a place I'd call a second home, it would be Groveland, Florida (an hour west of Orlando).

I've never been particularly enthused about any location where it never snows but this area of Florida has a few merits (great friends and great hang gliding, to name two) that have drawn me back again and again. I even own a small trailer there.

We're opposite this region now and will remain so for perhaps two days, having hit a wind hole we've long known was in our path. Jamie just e-mailed me to say she noted on the Clipper Website that we were opposite her home just south of Cape Canaveral and was waving as we sailed by, 300 miles off the coast. Unfortunately I was below decks at the time and missed it.

Since we'll be here a while, I've pondered asking G.W. to jump in his sailboat and motor out to bring us a case of beer. As gracious as he may be, however, I'd have to admit that the 600 mile round trip that would entail might be considered unreasonable.

We'll just have to make do with our usual powdered fruit drinks, tea, and coffee until we hit New York in a few days (hopefully).