Saturday, December 29, 2007

Leaving Australia



I'm in Margaret River, Australia today, where I've been for the last five days. This two week stay in Australia has been so different from the other stopovers, for several reasons.

First of all, having the time to spend one day doing anything not boat related was impossible in France, Brazil, or Africa. Here it had been anticipated for the last year.

Secondly, Fremantle feels as much like a home to me as there is in the world at this point. The story (and photos) will have to wait until later. I'm on a dial up connection here (was surprised to find they still existed) and it's taken far too much of my time here to simply add titles, photos and videos to the Africa-to-Australia entries. But I have, and so it might be worth going back to see the images associated with anything you might have already read over the last month or so.

We leave here tomorrow, Sunday, at 5:00 a.m. At 9:00 a.m, after a long drive, I'll be back on the boat to work hard for the next two days. Tuesday morning, New Year's day, our next race begins in Fremantle's Swan River as the keynote event of an annual river festival.

For now, however, I'm going to savor what bit of warm sunshine and even warmer fellowship I've got here on land while I can.

Signing off until I'm back out at sea.