Saturday, December 01, 2007

Personal GPS

[photo posted in Fremantle December 28th]


Position 38 14.45S 49 30.37E

I have my own personal GPS with me. This morning as I got off watch at 10am and went to bed, I turned it on and learned that Durban was 1000.64 miles behind us, with Fremantle 3254 miles in front.

Each time we sail, putting that first 1000 miles away is a key moment for us. It makes these immense distances we're covering at such a slow pace seem so much more conceivable.

Right now, those next 3000+ miles seem even more immense than usual. After blistering along at 10-12 kts for the first few days in high winds and rough seas, right now we are limping along a less than one knot in calm seas with flapping sails in little wind. Even though we are as far south as we've ever been, today some of us wore shorts and Anna, the hardiest of us all, even had bare shoulders. "This is the Southern Ocean?" we mocked.

No, not yet. It begins theoretically at 40 degrees south.