Thursday, December 13, 2007

Antipode

[photo posted in Fremantle December 28th]


Position 36 24.88S 104 51.04E. I've brought an inflatable globe on the boat with me that, from the beginning, I've marked with our position each day at noon. I've also added an 'X' on the spot just to the south west of Australia which is the antipode, i.e., the opposite side of the world from the area in Northern Virginia that has generally been my physical and spiritual home for the last 40 years or so.

Sometime between yesterday and today we passed with 150 miles of that point. I am truly, therefore, on the opposite side of the globe from what had been my home. I grew up there. I raised a daughter there. Now, however, I'm homeless.

I currently live on this boat but I won't return to Virginia once this voyage is done. Next up for me are plans with my Spanish friend German to recreate Homer's 'Odyssey' on a boat we'll prepare together. This will take six months (perhaps three in preparation in northern Spain and three actually doing it in Greece).

After that, sometime in the winter of '09, my intent is to build a simple dwelling somewhere with my own two hands. Just exactly where has been THE question for quite some time. New Zealand has long been my dreamland out of habit. Northern Spain (German's area) is a new possibility, but it truly could be anywhere the spirit and people seem right.

Where the next antipode to my home will be remains to be seen.